Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who I'll vote for today

Yesterday I had a little fun posting about the candidates' robo-calls here over the past few days. But I'm actually taking this primary election much more seriously than that.

I'm still not 100% sure who I'm going to vote for today, but I'm going to say a prayer about it this morning and decide by this evening. (We have till 8 p.m.!)

For a few minutes, literally, I considered voting for Hillary because I think she's very beatable in the general election, and because I think Obama is a runaway freight train that really needs to be stopped. I also figured that there was no one left to vote for on the Republican side, as McCain seemed to have it pretty much wrapped up.

But then I thought, I could never forgive myself if Hillary actually won the general election and I had even the tiniest role in that.

I also realized that McCain doesn't really have it locked up, and that Huckabee is still in there fighting. I admire him for that. And as I said the other day, I've received many emails from people outside of Wisconsin urging me to vote for Huck.

So, I spent some time looking into his positions on the issues. While he's right on all the important issues, and though he doesn't have the liberal baggage that McCain does, I still have some concerns.

My biggest problem with Huckabee is a trust issue. For example, he talks about eliminating the IRS and I think we all know that's an impossible goal (though goodness knows the tax code ought to be trashed). It seems like a little too much pandering to the voters, honestly.

So, I lose a little trust in his judgement about which issues he should go after.

He also doesn't seem to be as strong on the war against terror as I'd like him to be; I think McCain has the edge there. McCain seems to "get it" more than the other candidates. While Huckabee's website says exactly the right thing about the war, it's way down on his list of issues. Immigration is his highest priority; that doesn't mesh with mine.

Now, I might consider voting for Huckabee as a protest against some of McCain's liberalism, but I don't know if that's the best use of my suffrage.

Still, McCain bothers me for a number of reasons, too. McCain-Feingold: horrible law. His position on amnesty for illegal immigrants: questionable. Rumors float about his temper. Do we trust those rumors? Is that a bad thing? Perhaps a president with a bad temper isn't such a terrible thing, if he's on the right side of most of the issues. Do people really think he's going to drop a nuclear bomb on somebody just because he gets annoyed? I don't think so.

So... that's where I am right now. Mostly I'm wishing I had better choices.

But, we have the choices that we have, and that's it. This is a hugely important election. God help us if we end up with a President Obama or Clinton.

No comments: