I love Mardi Gras. No, not the crazy Bacchanalian parades and festivals in New Orleans, just the ordinary "Fat Tuesday" that comes every year the day before Ash Wednesday.
Our Fat Tuesday yesterday started with delicious paczki (a Polish custom), and then ended with our traditional Mardi Gras dinner: Jambalaya with shrimp, andouille sausage, and chicken, corn bread, and cole slaw (that last one's weird, I know, but the fact is I forgot to serve it on Monday with the barbecued pork sandwiches).
Tom and the kids remembered to get our "Cajun Party" CD so we could play it during dinner. Nothing like a little New Orleans style music to set the mood.
Today we went from feasting to fasting. It was an odd Ash Wednesday as the storm meant we couldn't get to Mass. But we know it's definitely Ash Wednesday: our stomachs are all growling from the fasting. Why is it that when you know you're not supposed to eat much, you're hungrier than you ever would be on any other day?
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Fat Tuesday / Ash Wednesday
Labels:
traditions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment