Friday, November 05, 2004

Why the Far Left will become extinct:

Here's what a disappointed/devastated Kerry supporter had to say about her post-election activism:

"I am 33 years old and will postpone a family to ensure my ability to act when necessary. This includes traveling to other cities and volunteering as much as I can locally." [emphasis mine]
Well, OK. That's fine with me.

Do you think that they'll ever figure out that between this kind of thinking and abortion, the far left is dooming itself to a smaller and smaller demographic?

UPDATE: On re-reading this, it sounds harsh, and at the same time, flippant. I don't mean it to be either. But it does seem like it could be a matter of fact. I wonder if there are any demographic studies on this issue. (Googling, googling... more googling...)

OK, I'm back. Found a tiny bit of information, from a Netherlands fertility study.
Of the total number of women, 9% expected to remain childless. Broken down for background characteristics, data showed that among the childless women, there was a relatively large group with no religious affiliation, who preferred small leftwing political parties, women with a high level of education, women who themselves come from small families, or women living in a big city....Of the total number of women, 22% will have 3 children. This group is comprised largely of Roman Catholics, women who prefer the Christian Democrat party, and/or women who themselves come from large families.

3 comments:

rich glasgow said...

Homosexuality doesn't really bet on the future, either!

rich g
www.thisisrich.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

How right you guys are.

pmm

Anonymous said...

I don't believe the far left will ever become extinct. All lefties have parents and not all of them are liberal. It's possible for neutral, apolitical, or even conservative parents to have liberal off-spring. There will always be someone leaning towards the feel-good symbolism of the left, always another student that will read Marx (Karl, not Groucho) and embrace it, always a group who disdains private property and capitalism (usually while living in and enjoying the largess and the political freedom to oppose it).

For many people, leaning left is a part of growing up, it's just for some the progression stops there. That's why we see people in their 50s and 60s who still have the hippie ponytail from their youth, albeit gray and thinning. Their fashion and politics both stuck in that 18 year-old zealotry for political ideas that are usually not very well thought out. OK, bubbles are getting in my eyes now as I stand on this soap box.

I agree with your premise that, as a group they will reproduce less, abort more, but I guess I figure to some degree that lefties are developed, not born.

I thought from the title that you might be going after the larger point of the far left's voice in a major political party in the U.S. I think the Democrats will study what works in elections and although they'll have the left wing in the party, the candidates for the Dems will increasing run campaigns towards the middle or right - at least in what they say to get elected. Once in office, good luck!

TJS