Thursday, November 11, 2004

Veteran's Day

Called a former co-worker today; he's a veteran of the Korean War, a Marine. I try to call him every year on Veteran's Day to thank him for serving our country.

Said a prayer for my uncle, who fought in some horrific battles in WWII. He rarely discussed it with any of us, but he did open up to my husband a few years after we were married. My uncle died three years ago. We had his funeral Mass on the night of September 11, 2001.

Thought of my nephew, who joined the Air Force in March of 2003. His dad drove him to the bus station to leave for basic training about two days before the invasion of Iraq, if I recall correctly. He's now stationed in Dover, but he and his sweet young wife will be leaving for Spain sometime next year.

And then I came across this, on Hugh Hewitt's site, and it made me cry. It's about a heroic young man who was killed in Iraq last spring, giving his life for others. Here's an excerpt:

We are left to wonder why it is so often those that are so great, that live with such nobility, are the ones to die. The answer is that, because of their nobility and greatness, they are the first to volunteer. It is often the better people who end up giving their lives for others.
Please, go and read the whole thing, and then say a prayer for our soldiers in Fallujah right now, and if you can, call any veterans you know to thank them.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis,

Thanks for the link. I did read the whole article, and it should be required reading for all.

It is very humbling thinking about what some people are going through so I can have my nice, quiet life here in northern Wisconsin - and that I didn't step up to volunteer to fight for it myself when I was younger. I am always aware that there are soldiers overseas fighting for me, but this letter really drives it home, and what the fighting is really all about.

I remember when I was a teenager Uncle John encouraging me to join the military, but of course as a young kid, I'd have nothing of it. In retrospect, I should have, and now often wish I had.

In any case, a proud salute and best wishes for a safe return to all those fighting for us, wherever they may be stationed.

pmm