Saturday, October 16, 2004

Hugh Hewitt's Symposium Question

Weekend Symposium 3: How deep a hole have John Kerry, Mary Beth Cahill and the Edwards dug for themselves? How lasting the damage?

I think the hole is deep enough to bury the entire campaign. That Kerry felt he needed to bring up Mary Cheney during the debate tells me he was desperate to try to wriggle out of the gay-marriage question in the first place. You can lay the blame at Edwards' feet; he brought up Mary's name in the Veep debate, staying true to form as a lawyer (say anything to sway that jury).

But truth be told, I think Elizabeth Edwards did the most damage, in an attempt at damage control that will backfire, big time. For her to accuse Lynne Cheney of being somehow ashamed of her daughter was incredibly rude, a lowbrow personal attack that shows she is clueless about why Lynne Cheney and the majority of Americans were outraged by Kerry's comment.

So the hole they dug is pretty deep. How lasting the damage? I think it might last for about two weeks -- which is just long enough.

UPDATE: Welcome, Hugh Hewitt readers! (Apparently, this is called a Hewittcane.) For your additional reading pleasure, click here and here for more posts on the depths to which KE04 will stoop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Johns" showed the whole country just how crude, crass, insensitive, low, vulgar and slimy they and the whole Democratic looney liberals really are.

Anonymous said...

I'm a political cynic, but I also had a gut reaction that I'm not sure I can put into words. Lots of people have tried to explain exactly what Kerry did wrong, but I think that if you need this explained to you then there's really no point in trying. You're not going to get it.

Just leave the kids out of it.

Duane said...

Hewittcane! Yay, I've coined a phrase!