My husband predicted the Dems' response to the SOTU:
It doesn't matter what you say,-- Groucho Marx (UPDATE: Didn't anybody notice that it said "Grouch Marx" for the past couple days?!? If you did, you were too polite to mention it.)
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is... I'm against it!
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I'm against it!
Here's a little Midi file for you so you can hum the lyrics while listening to Nancy Pelosi give the Dems' rebuttal. (Scroll half way down the page to "Horse Feathers.")
UPDATE: My husband, who could get a job as an Archival Specialist in the Marx Brothers Museum, if there is such a job, if there was such a place, sends the complete lyrics for your edification and amusement:
Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
Whatever it is, I'm against it
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it!
I'm opposed to it,
On general principles, I'm opposed to it.
It doesn't matter what you say,
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it!
For months before my son was born,
I used to yell from night 'til morn,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
And I've kept yelling, since I first commenced it,
I'm against it!
UPDATE TWO, 2/9: Our good friend JAS emails me that yes, in fact, there is a Marx Brothers museum! And I have to say, it's the most entertaining website I think I've ever seen. It's even... zany. Which is the perfect kind of website for the Marx brothers, isn't it?
2 comments:
Perfect! Lacking any real response to their response, I have linked to this post.
Hi, home sick from work, and since I'm feeling good enough I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!
Ditto to Tim and Sandi's comments above. Proof the left hasn't a leg to stand on. Read on if you want, it's kind of long.... :-)
A few comments on the State of the Union Address last night. On Bush's part, an excellent night. I would find it hard to argue with anything he said. I especially liked the part where he mentioned "no amnesty" for illegal immigrants - excellent. If you want to live here, great. Just come legally.
On the Democrat's comments afterwards, well, they are struggling for something - anything - to discredit Bush, and I thought it was really obvious by their little talks that they haven't a leg to stand on.
Social Security: it IS tanking. Here is an excerpt from my last SS statement from July 2, 2004. "Unless action is taken soon to strengthen Social Security, in just 14 years we will begin paying more in benefits than we collect in taxes. Without changes, by 2042 the Social Security Trust Fund will be exhausted."
How much more proof do the Democrats want? Their problem is that since they were the ones that came up with the idea and put it in place (Social Security) they are having a hard time admitting there is anything wrong with it that needs to be taken care of. It's "their baby" as Tim R. from Meet the Press put it. Apparently they prefer to wait until it is a dire emergency before they decide to act.
In summary: Democrats, reactive. Bush, < italics > proactive < end italics >. Which would you rather be??
Iraq: Of course we aren't going to give a timetable. What do they think this is, a ping-pong match?? We will leave when the USA and the Iraqis agree it is time. Bush has a strategy to get out, which as Sandi pointed out he outlined in his address to the Nation. The problem the Democrats face now is that it turns out Bush was right in going into Iraq, so now they have to make up something new to jump on.
On another note, isn't it also interesting how the Democrats have now become so religious and defense-strong? Just like Kerry did during the campaign (trying to make himself out to be religious, pro-gun, in effect, trying to come off as a conservative), and as Hillary Clinton is doing now preparing to dupe the public in the 2008 elections, they will all soon be seeing God, will claim to want to beef up our military, will claim to be pro-gun defenders of our Second Amendment, and will also claim to be "pro-life" by making statements like 'teenagers will need parental OK before getting an abortion'. Ughhh.
Hopefully, through blogs such as this one, and campaigns by conservative membership organizations (when they aren't silenced by McCain-Feingold just before elections when our political free speech is most effective and needed) enough people will see the light and not be fooled when they place their ballot at the mid-term elections and the next Presidential election.
pmm
Post a Comment