Based on the polls, things are looking good for President Bush. Most show him leading Kerry by at least 5 points; a USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll shows him leading by 52 to 44, in Wisconsin. IN. WISCONSIN. Unbelievable, though in line with what I've predicted.
But there's one worry that's been nagging at me over the past week or so, and that's voter fraud. Jeff Jacboy has a great article today that lays out the scope of the problem. It's distressing, to say the least.
Mark Belling also addressed the problem in an article recently, and has been talking about it on his daily radio talk show, as well.
Now, theoretically, this shouldn't affect the election, if you make the assumption that both Republicans and Democrats cheat in equal numbers. But I don't think that's the case. Here's a quote from the Jacoby article linked above:
Fund cites reporter Glenn Simpson and political scientist Larry Sabato, co-authors of a recent book on corruption in American politics. Some liberal activists they interviewed go so far as to justify voter fraud on the grounds that such "extraordinary measures" compensate for the weaker political clout of minorities and the poor.So, if it's true that desperate people do desperate things, and if it's also true that the Democrats are getting more and more desperate (which recent events would seem to indicate), then this is not good for Republicans.
Although, as Hugh Hewitt says in the title of his new book, "If it's not close, they can't cheat!" I'm hoping that will be the case.
UPDATE: Oops, a typo above; I meant to type "Jacoby", not "Jacboy".
1 comment:
I liked Jacboy's comment that you have to show a picture ID at the liquor store but not to register or vote. Give me a break, it would only take a second and it's imperative to maintain integrity in our voting system.
Post a Comment