Monday, November 14, 2005

Okay, so maybe I am Martha Stewart

Except for the fact that I'm not rich, famous, powerful, or even all that domestically talented, that is.

Oh, and I'm not an ex-con, either.

Warning: As the Anchoress would say, this post is all about me, me, ME! So just come back tomorrow if you want something less narcissistic.
Anyway.

So, if you're still reading... you wanna know what I did here in our little household recently?

* picked spinach and tri-color lettuce from my garden for our dinners
* snipped a few pieces off my rosemary plant, which I brought inside for the winter, to add to a pork chop dish
* for the first time, did some home canning and put up 6 pints of homemade apple pie filling
* whipped up a batch of dried-fruit scones with my daughters
* made an apple pie with above-mentioned pie filling (had to test it out, after all)

Well, maybe I'm not like Martha after all. I used a refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust.

But about that home canning: It is sooooo cool. When I heard those little lids make that little "pop" sound to indicate they were sealing, I made the whole family pause the movie we were watching to come see.

You want to see, too? OK, I'm going to unload the camera tonight and post a pic of the jars tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dad29 said...

Heh.

My beloved, a motherhood-model in all kinds of ways, also got into canning.

Then reality set in--she had canned enough stuff to feed about 1 battalion or so for a month.

Most of it went away in an inglorious fashion, sad to say...but we did recover about $100.00 from sale of the jars.

Perhaps YOU bought them...

Jane Bellwether said...

I hope you're not like Martha - her show's probably going to be cancelled. Pretty sad when 6.7 million viewers isn't enough, huh?

I use the Pillsbury crusts, too, and nobody can tell the difference. I never enjoyed rolling out a pie crust. The jars of apple pie filling look beautiful (and I really like your wallpaper).

I am so not feeling homey right now, got the sniffles.

M.E. said...

Sorry you're still under the weather, tee bee.

And Dad29 -- so far, I only have canned what you can see in the photo! And nope, I didn't buy any of your jars. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding jars right now! I'd love to do some more apple stuff (pie filling, sauce, whatever) but can't find jars! I should look on a freecycle site, I think.

Thanks for the comments, guys.