I took my two younger ones to see Wall-E on Friday -- opening day, how cool is that? -- and immediately loved it.
I'd had some misgivings, as I was afraid that it might be yet another earth-good, humans-bad, save-the-environment, worship-Gaia piece of agitprop.
But it's not! Don't let the fact that the earth is covered with trash fool you: This is not about saving the earth.
It's about saving the humans.
There are so many very cool themes and symbols in this movie. We've been having so much fun sorting them all out to figure out the real story in "Wall-E".
But, that will be for another post.
In the meantime, I encourage everyone to go see that movie, right away!
So why are you still here? Go! Now! Buy ticket! See movie!
Thank me later.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Wall-E: I'll be going to see it again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am looking forward to your next post! I, too, loved this movie (as you know) and am interested in your take on all the symbolism.
I couldn't agree more. I am in no way, shape, or form involved with those nut jobs within the church of environmentalism - the bunch of hypocrites, the lot of them - and thus I was concerned going into this movie that PIXAR, whom I have loved since they first made Toy Story back in 1995, had been taken in by the green-freaks and the trend of Hollywood to exploit - I mean, advocate - their concern to the masses. My fears were thankfully laid to rest. Does it poke fun at Wal-Mart, yes, but it is never anti-corporation or anti-capitalist, as some conservative commentators have argued. It simply argues that businesses do what is best in their own interest, for profit, the very reason businesses such as Wal-Mart exist in the first. This is not a bad thing, but generally a corporation is not who you want running things for let's say an entire planet, like BUY N LARGE in the movie. And the trash element was merely a commentary on how we as humans rather then cleaning up the mess ourselves, we gave up rather then try and left Earth. In other words, we gave up hope.
Post a Comment