Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pray for the parish in South Carolina

You may have heard about the brave parish priest in South Carolina, who said that Catholics who voted for Obama ought to go to confession before receiving Holy Communion. (Here's the AP story about it, but remember, it's AP: no guarantee of accuracy.)

I received the following email from a friend today. It was sent from a member of the parish (whose name I'm withholding) to a group of her friends, who then passed it on to my friend.

Please pray for my parish priest, Fr. Jay Scott Newman, and for Catholics everywhere. In Sunday's bulletin column [it's been taken down from the website], Fr. Newman wrote that Catholics who voted for Obama should not receive Communion until they have gone to confession and done penance. The letter is actually very good--he urges us to pray and support the new president in all that is moral. He is not going to refuse communion to anyone, but he says that it is his duty as our shepherd to speak the truth.

This has made national news, and he is being persecuted for it. Many of the comments on the news sites have been downright demonic. I myself have been contacted through the parish web site with messages of protest and mild threats.

[snipped to remove some identifying information]

Even some of my family members, who are not Catholic, are angry about this and have let me know so. There is even talk about possible violence at Mass this Sunday. I have to take my children to the church for youth choir practice this afternoon, and I'm a little nervous because I'm sure there will be protesters.

Pray, pray, pray....I'm afraid Catholics are not going to have it easy in America from here on out.


God bless,
*****

Fr. Dwight Longenecker has more here about the new anti-Catholicism, as well as a sample of some of the vicious hate mail he's been getting about this issue.

No comments: