I wrote to Sen. Kohl expressing my opposition to FOCA. I explained that it would undo years of work by citizens who favored reasonable laws regarding abortion, such as parental notification, a waiting period, restrictions on late-term abortions, etc. These restrictions were approved by state legislatures, reflecting the will of the people.
The reply (which I pretty much expected, but which raises my blood pressure nonetheless. Why do I have to have this guy for my senator, especially when our other senator is just as bad?)
Dear Mrs. Swart:
Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate hearing from you.
As you know, Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) reintroduced the "Freedom of Choice Act," S. 1173, on April 19, 2007. This bill would protect a woman's freedom to choose to bear a child or terminate a pregnancy, consistent with the Supreme Court's 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade, along with other verdicts that respect a citizen's privacy. It would also prohibit the interference of the government in these decisions.
I recognize that abortion involves difficult and ultimately personal decisions, and with this in mind, I believe that the government should not regulate in this area. While I do not like abortion, I do not believe that it would be wise to return to the days when women who sought abortions were treated as criminals. Instead, I will continue to work to encourage alternatives to abortion. Although we may come to agree on some of the surrounding issues, I'm afraid that we will not agree on the ultimate question of whether women should retain the legal right to make their own decisions about having an abortion.
I appreciate your strong convictions on this issue, and I hope we can communicate about other matters on which we are more likely to find agreement.
Sincerely,
Herb Kohl
U.S. Senator
No comments:
Post a Comment