Wow, this fashion news is pretty exciting! A conservative trend for the fall, with simple feminine suits, sheath dresses reminiscent of the '50s and early '60s, no mini-skirts, no stupid-looking designs that no real woman would ever wear.
Some of Seventh Avenue’s most influential tastemakers are invoking in their latest collections the proprieties, the seamless appearances and the tony aspirations of midcentury Middle America. They are, in short, going bourgeois to the core.
In collections for fall that American designers plan to present starting on Friday, when another Fashion Week begins in New York, many will jettison the baby-doll dresses, the thigh-high skirts and the disco boots of the spirited Warhol years — touchstones of recent seasons — in favor of a meticulously tailored look that evokes the White House years of Jacqueline Kennedy.
Of course, the NYT had to give it a snarky headline ("The Newly Uptight" - or is there a joke or allusion I'm missing here?) but just look at the photos!
And, "bourgeois to the core"? Excellent. I've been reading a great book lately -- if I find the time I'll post on it later -- that made me realize the nobility and beauty in so-called "bourgeois" values.
I really should add the book to my "Good Reads" list, too. Oh well, I'll just tell you: It's called "When God Looked the Other Way", written by a Polish American man who survived the hell created by the Soviet Communists. Who, of course, hated "bourgeois" values.
Wow, from fashion to politics ... what a post. Clearly, my brain is fragmented this morning. And I know why.
Haven't... had... coffee....
Excuse me while I go make a pot.
1 comment:
I'm hiding this in the comments, because it makes me nervous to write about.... but here goes. I really, truly want to lose some - OK, who am I kidding? - a bunch of weight. I've avoided clothes shopping for a very long time for two reasons: 1) fashions were ugly and 2) I really want to lose a bunch of weight.
However, reading about the lovely styles coming for fall (I hope) has given me added incentive. (As if health alone shouldn't be enough, right?)
So, I'm posting this here as motivation for myself, and because I'm curious to see if anyone reads the comments, and because I want to know if anyone wants to join me in a healthy eating and exercise program. There must be some blog thingy we can post on our sites charting our progress... assuming we'd want to do such a potentially humiliating thing... but maybe there's some small way we could make this, well, fun.
So, if you want to join me, post a comment here!
If not, I will get started without you. But it really won't be as nice.
Post a Comment