Monday, November 26, 2007

The White Christmas Chronicles: A True Story

So, today, after school was over and before the carpooling started, I sat down at the piano to practice "White Christmas".

Why, you ask? Because a few years ago I decided I wanted to learn a new Christmas song every Advent that I could play to entertain my family and friends. HA! More likely that I drive them nuts while I practice it, over and over and over and over again...

But I digress.

Anyway, I sit down at the piano. I've looked forward to this all day. I really enjoy playing, and I almost have it memorized.

I'm dreaming.... of a White... Christma --

"Hey Mom! Do you know where the needle nose pliers is?"

"Why?"

"I need it to make some earrings for my friends for Christmas."

"OK, let's go look." Go to the basement, open husband's tool box, find the needle nose. The 15 yo daughter is happy; I'm happy.

Back to the piano...

I'm dreaming... of a White... Christma --

"MOM! THE TOILET'S PLUGGED!"

"AGAIN!??!?!"

Run grab the plunger, unplug the toilet, put plunger away, wash hands.

Back to the piano....

I'mdreamingofaWhiteChristma --

Ring-ring ... the telephone... it's a neighbor who needs to borrow something. A cup of sugar? An egg?

No. He needs to borrow a computer keyboard. No, I am not kidding.

OK. No problem. Arrange to get it to him shortly.

Back to the piano...

I'mdreamingofa --

"Mom, time to go!"

Sure enough, it's time for the carpooling and errands... guitar lesson, Tae Kwon Do lesson and work, the dry cleaner, the gas station....

Sigh. At this rate, maybe I'll have it memorized by next Christmas.

1 comment:

VintageP said...

I started learning the guitar at age 50 as my midlife hobby. Although my family tolerates it, they have not embraced my love of heavy blues and rock. I just began learning "Silent Night" using fingerstyle and all of a sudden there is a lot of enthusiasm from the family to the extent my daughter wants to join in and sing along. Persevere, as this may be a good opportunity for family bonding!