Tuesday, November 27, 2007

More Fake Q & A

Q. Did all those things really happen yesterday?

A. Yes, of course! With one small exception: I realized this morning that the call from the neighbor didn't actually happen during practice time; it happened during school time shortly before that. We live in a wonderful neighborhood where we all feel free to borrow things (the list of previously-borrowed items includes eggs, milk, sugar, molasses, zucchini, garden hoses, wheelbarrows, spades, and now keyboards) and they're always returned or replaced. The nicest neighbors in the world, really. We're blessed. (And I'm not just saying this in case the keyboard-borrowing-and-returning neighbor reads my blog, which he used to do sometimes.)

Q. Did you ever get another chance to practice last night, you poor thing?

A. Why, you are so sweet to be concerned, thank you! And yes, I was able to sit down at the piano after dinner. And guess what? I played the whole piece, start to finish, memorized. This may not seem like a big deal to you (OK, it's not a big deal, period), but I like to be able to prove to myself that I'm still capable of something like that, once in awhile.

Q. Do you really suffer from multiple personality syndrome, a.k.a. Dissociative Identity Disorder, as these goofy Q&A's would seem to indicate?

A. No. Yes! No! Yes!! No!!! OK, enough already. Um, the correct answer is no. But I do like to prove that I know the meaning of the above terms, as it's currently my only means of showing off using my M.A. in Psychology. I hope that all my former Psych 101 students never forgot that schizophrenia is not the same thing as multiple personality disorder (which may or may not be a real phenomenon, by the way). < / digression > But maybe I do have two different personalities: My real-life one, and this one, which is a little bit goofier. Sort of.

Q. But why are you so .... goofy?

A. Because I believe that laughing at yourself is the first line of defense against insanity. And since I have kids, and since insanity is inherited from your kids, I need all the lines of defense I can scrounge up. 'Nuff said.

Q. You are a sad, strange little blogger, and you have my pity.

A. Yes, well, thanks for reading today's Q&A. Be sure to come back tomorrow for the long-promised, long-ignored Q&A about the name of this blog.

Bet you can't wait.

No comments: