Monday, January 04, 2010

We have a shepherd!

Our new Archbishop, Jerome Listecki, is being installed today. We've been watching the ceremony on and off this afternoon. (Thanks to WTMJ-4 and WISN-12 for broadcasting it.)

And while we're talking about shepherds... as you may recall, I love the song "My Baby Needs A Shepherd". It can bring me to tears in a New York minute.


Just think about those lyrics...

My baby needs a shepherd
She's lost out on the hill
Too late I tried to call her
When the night was cold and still
And I tell myself I'll find her
But I know I never will
My baby needs a shepherd
She's lost out on the hill

My baby needs an angel
She never learned to fly
She'll not reach sanctuary
Just by looking to the sky
I guess I could have carried her
But I didn't even try
My baby needs an angel
She never learned to fly
...

My baby needs a pilot
She has no magic wand
To help her part the troubled waters
Of the Rubicon
But in my soul I know she'll
Have to go this one alone
After all that is only way she's ever known
...

My baby needs a mother
To love her till the end
Up every rugged mountain
And down every road that bends
Sometimes I hear her cryin'
But I guess it's just the wind
My baby needs a mother
To love her till the end

None of my children are lost, either physically or spiritually, thank God! And yet, I still can torture myself by thinking about the terrible sadness of these lyrics.

But yesterday, while praying for my children I realized that no matter what the future holds for my children, they have all those precious things mentioned in the song.

They have a shepherd: Christ.

They have an angel: their Guardian Angels.

They have a pilot: the Pope, pilot of the Barque of Peter, who will steer them safely through the roughest of waters (as long as they stay on board).

And they certainly have a mother to love them till the end: me, and of course, our Blessed Mother.

They are in good hands.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Ahem. I think you took OUR shepherd. We're all into sharing and stuff but now WE are singing the "no shepherd blues".

Just razzing you, but if you feel guilty, I just posted a prayer for election of a bishop. You can pray it for us. :)

West Central Wisconsin Catholic
www.wcwcatholic.com