No, not really.
However, she's on to something that would almost make me say just that.
UPDATE: Welcome to those finding this post via a Google search on "Oprah for President" (a popular search lately!). Please be sure to check out my other posts on Oprah, here, here, and here. Especially that first one.I'm sure that by now almost everyone has heard about her campaign to track down child molesters. She announced on today's show that she believes she heard a call, from God, to devote her life to tracking down these sexual predators and getting them behind bars, and to getting laws changed "state by state by state".
She's already claimed credit for several fugitives being tracked down.
I don't watch Oprah much, partly because about 90% of the time I can't get decent reception on Channel 12 (but that's another story), and partly because I'm usually running carpool, making dinner, or cleaning up the house between 4 - 5 when the show airs locally.
[Note to The Husband: Yes, honey, I know, I always put these disclaimers in when I write about Oprah. But it's true.]
But today I did see part of the show, and you know, it was honestly a chills-down-the-spine moment (well, a small one, anyway) to hear her say that she woke up one morning knowing that this was her purpose in life, that she had come full circle for her from being an abused girl herself to now being a woman who can help to bring justice to these criminals.
She vowed to use her resources, which, in terms of both power and money, are considerable, to make this happen.
For starters, she's giving a $100,000 reward to anyone who contributes a tip that leads to the arrest of one of these predators.
This will be something to see. We already know Oprah is a sort of cultural goddess; we know what happens to a book that she recommends; we know what kind of media empire she has established.
All I can say is that child molesters will have no peace, no rest, no hiding places, now that Oprah has taken on this cause.
Good.
Two downsides to this: First, that innocent men may be unjustly arrested and jailed; two, that it creates another mass hysteria similar to the "every-day-care-provider-is-a-molester" hysteria that swept the country in the '90's.
If she can avoid those while still helping track down these fugitives, it will be a very good thing.
But I still wouldn't really vote for her for president.
2 comments:
It's ironic that Bush is supposed to look like a hegemoniacal fundie for supposedly saying the exact same thing, yet Oprah looks like Joan of Arc.
Yeah, fair and balanced media.
Oprah won't ever run for president -- she couldn't stand the pay cut...
TJS
Post a Comment