Monday, May 16, 2005

And yet another abortion-related risk

In addition to putting the next baby at risk, there apparently is good reason to believe that abortion is a risk factor for breast cancer.

Abortion is "safe"? Hardly.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4500245.stm

What about the thirteen year old girl in Florida. It seems to me that her having this baby is putting her life at risk, because she is still a child. Her risks include things like a premature birth, any number of birth defects, and due to her small size, problems delivering, all of which can kill her now, or her baby now.

Anonymous said...

To Carrie -

All pregnancies have a risk of premature birth, birth defects, low birth weight, and delivery problems. Is there research that conclusively proves that younger mothers have more complications?

But to your larger point, instead of taking the risk which is inherent in all pregnancies to allow the baby a chance at life, you want to choose the action that is 100% guaranteed to be fatal to the baby and has a documented increased risk to this girl's psychological and physical well-being in the future. That doesn't seem reasonable to me, are you really concerned with this 13 year old girl's well being? What about the innocent baby's?

TJS

Shana said...

As TJS stated, all pregnancies have a risk of problems. My first pregnancy? I was 21 and I easily could have died during delivery. I developed toxemia a few days before I was due to deliver, and only barely delivered, without any seriously major, lasting issues. I was unconcious most of the day, so you'd have to ask my mother-in-law and my husband just how bad I was. Would it have been different if I'd waited until I was thirty? Not likely. I've had issues of some sort with 3 out of 4 of my pregnancies/deliveries.
I also know of a number of women who were told they should abort their baby because of some silly reason or another (the baby might be sick, the mother might not survive, and so on...), and yet they have gone on to have healthy babies, healthy pregnancies and deliveries, but if they had listened to that dr. they wouldn't have that baby.

There will always be health risks, even in a perfectly healthy pregnancy. But, there will be far worse consequences in aborting a baby. There has been a highly increased risk for breast cancer for women who abort their babies (the milk ducts start to form, and then are halted partway throug the process, and that can lead to cancer later in life), along with risk of septimia, puncture or scarring of the uterine wall, severe psychological trauma (maybe not right away, but eventually), and a whole list of other issues that can easily be looked up on the internet.
I have never heard of anyone who really had to abort their baby to save their life, except in cases of ectopic pregnancy. And even then, there is an issue. Is it really my 'right' to kill my baby just to save my life? I would rather die than be responsible for purposely killing a pre-born child.
I apologize for the length of this, but it's something very close to my heart.