Tuesday, January 18, 2005

An excellent Pro-Life cause

My husband and I recently contributed to this organization, Pro-Life Across America, to sponsor a billboard in the Milwaukee area. (Not sure where it is yet; I'm waiting to hear back from the person who coordinated the donations.)

What a great idea this is! The billboards feature an adorable little baby face, and a very positive pro-life message.

I began this post with the firm idea that the positive billboards are a far superior method of changing hearts and minds about abortion than showing graphic, bloody images of aborted fetuses. Now, however, I have to admit that I'm just... well, conflicted about it.

Priests for Life, an organization I respect, has a pretty solid argument for showing the reality of abortion, here. (Note: If you don't want to see the images, don't click the links on that page. Alternatively, if you do want to see them, you'll probably have to turn off your Norton Internet Security Parental Control temporarily; it considers the pages "restricted sites".)

Here's my problem: If I was driving around with my kids, and we came across a one of the semi-trucks with the horrific, bloody images, I would tell them to look the other way or close their eyes, and hope that I did so in time. I actually had to do that once, a few years ago, when we drove by some protestors with signs showing the same kinds of photos. My kids were just too young to have their innocence robbed that way.

On the other hand, I just turned off Norton, looked at some of the photos, and was moved almost to tears. The photos are very disturbing. They're supposed to be. Abortion is horrible, for both the baby and the mother.

How can you not be moved? How can you look at those photos and not say, "We're killing off our children!" Maybe Fr. Pavone is right, that this is the best way to convince people that abortion is wrong.

Still, these happy-baby billboards are something that I would encourage my children to look at and read. No conflict there, I'm glad to say.

Pro-lifers, especially those of you coming here from Pro-Life Blogs, what are your thoughts on this issue?

2 comments:

rich glasgow said...

Hi M.E.! Good post and a worthy cause. Kudos for your contributions to Pro-Life Across American. I linked to it and I hope it gets some traffic.

Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I prefer a message that "touches and softens" rather than "hardens" the heart. 'So glad to learn about this very worthy organization. My husband and I plan to contact them to see about getting billboards started (or increased) in our state (Texas).
'Found your blog via a link from "Isn't It Rich" blog. 'Will visit again.