Monday, February 16, 2009

Why I deleted my Facebook account

I love this!



And did you catch number... uh... well, whatever, but the one where he talks about "old people" on Facebook... yeah. I'm nobody's Grandma and really I'm NOT even old enough to be. No, seriously! Not in my own mind, anyway. Unless I'd been a child bride. Which I wasn't.

But still, I'm old enough to be their aunt. And in fact, quite a few of my in-law nieces and nephews are on Facebook, and it just got to be weird to see these half-conversations and snippets of their lives when it really just felt like eavesdropping. I mean, I love them, they're great people! But how do I fit into their Facebook lives, exactly? Seriously. It was just weird.

I kept asking the question "Why am I on Facebook?" and couldn't give myself a decent answer.

My original answer was simple: To find out what it was all about. My kids were thinking about getting accounts and I just wanted to see what it was like out there.

OK, so I did, and it was fine, and sort of fun for awhile, but you know what? Not for me. Fine for you, just not for me. I think it's great for anyone who likes it, really! But, not me.

I asked my SIL the other day, hey, do you still see my profile? I deleted it a few weeks ago, and they said if I didn't log in within two weeks, it would disappear.

Yep, you're gone, she said. Like you never existed. Every comment you wrote on my wall, every link to your account: gone. Down the memory hole.

So that's good... although I do admit to a slight twinge of regret when I hear about cool Facebook groups I might like to join.... but still.

Now, Twitter, on the other hand, is kind of cool.

h/t for the video to Michael Hyatt, who I don't know, but Danielle Bean tweeted about it (and I actually did meet Danielle once at a conference!)

No comments: