Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reality Check

Time to 'fess up about yesterday. Did my idyllic version of the day come to pass? The snuggling up and reading, the baking of Christmas cookies, the playing in the snow?

Well, yes and no.

Playing in the snow? That's a HUGE yes. The two younger ones spent hours outside and had a blast. Fortunately, we weren't hit by that purple icestorm monster (it kept to the south), so the kids never had to come inside to hide from sleet and hail.

Snuggling up and reading? Well, mostly no, sad to say. The two younger ones were so busy playing outside that they never really were in a mood for sitting and reading, except for when they came inside to have hot chocolate at the kitchen table. They did some reading then. Still, I have to say that's mostly a "no" for them.

However, for the teens and me, there was quite a lot of reading -- sans snuggling. We took advantage of the quiet in the house, which of course was a direct result of all the outside time for the younger two.

[Note: the next part is being written mainly for my good friend in Bayfield who loves to hear about homeschool curricula; if you're not interested, avert your eyes.]

I wrote up study guides for my high schoolers for The Iliad and for the encyclical Humanae Vitae, as they need to write papers on both. I also googled for sites to help our Senior with her Advanced Biology (anatomy) course. We all three had some good discussions on various topics, and just generally got caught up on a few things.

[End of curriculum discussion; back to our normal boring blogging.]

OK, how about Christmas cookies? That's a big no. We baked not one single thing yesterday. Too bad, as I love baking gingerbread cookies, especially, on a snowy day. Oh well.

Dinner? As planned -- almost. Meatloaf, baked potatoes, but forgot about the leftover green beans almondine. We had corn instead.

So that was it.

Today is a gorgeous winter day; blue sky and sunshine making the snow sparkle. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go get the camera and post a few photos.

No comments: