Saturday, January 03, 2009

I heard through the grapevine....

... that a friend, D., who reads this blog was worried about me because I haven't posted for so long. That is so sweet! Thank you! And to the rest of you who tell me you're wondering why I haven't posted (that includes another dear friend, K., as well as my daughter, H.!), and to you dear people who subscribe to this blog, and to anyone else who happens by here every so often, here's why:

1) Two days before Christmas, I was attacked by a malevolent seat belt. It had been a long morning of driving all over creation doing Christmas errands, and I was almost done. As I started buckling up after my last errand, somehow the seat belt slipped out of my hand and whacked me hard in the eye. Oh my goodness did that hurt. I most emphatically do not recommend ever doing that. Anyway, since then I've been to the opthalmologist four times. Turned out to be a scratched cornea which became infected. I still have excruciating pain which comes and goes, but the antibiotic eye drops have fortunately cleared up the infection. (And may I say again, Thank God for the big pharmaceuticals!)

2) Mom and Dad are moving this week. And all I can say about that is, Oh. My. Do you think there's a market on eBay for calendars from 1970? Maybe the dates match up again. Or how about for plastic bags, cardboard boxes, paper bags, manila envelopes, and file folders? Mom, being a child of the Depression, has always been an excellent re-user, re-cycler, and saver. She was justifiably proud of her ability to always find exactly the right size bag, box, or envelope for just about any item. Don't even get me started on the notepads and scrap paper. We could start a wholesale business in any of those commodities. You can just imagine the amount of cleaning out, sorting, and boxing up we're doing. Fortunately, we all have a good sense of humor, so we're also doing a lot of laughing. (And if you read this, and you know my Mom, do not tell her, I'm begging you, that I posted about this. She will kill me. I'll have to deny the whole thing. Or blame it on the heavy-duty pain meds making me so woozy that I didn't even realized what I was doing. So remember, now, it's hush-hush!)

So, as I squint through my one good eye at this post, let me just wish all of you a very Happy New Year. I pray that God will protect and bless you in 2009 and always.

4 comments:

Dad29 said...

I only HOPE my children will giggle at the collection of STUFF my wife accumulates.

As for me: only ammo and books, of course. Useful stuff...

Anonymous said...

Ok Seester....Either pay up or Mom is going to find a copy of this in one of the drawers we have yet to clean out.

M.E. said...

Oh yes, that Anonymous was really my brother (the one who calls me Seester as opposed to the one who calls me Sis). But I won't have to pay up, because I have something on him, too. I know the secret code name he uses when he calls our Mom, the one that our other brothers don't know... and he doesn't want them to know.... ah, the beauty and efficiency of sibling blackmail!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that hurts! Blackmail the blackmailer.... what a family.